Activities in and around Franschhoek:
- a stroll up old 'Cat se Pad' walking trail
- a sunset drive to the top of the Franschhoek Pass
- trout fishing
- a wine tasting tour on horse back
- a swim in the rock pools over the pass
- golf at Pearl Valley, a challenging Jack Nicklaus Signature Course
- a ride in a horse and carriage through the vineyards
- a helicopter ride over the Cape Winelands
- mountain biking in the mountains and forests
- a 4x4 trail in the mountains Seated on a 300 year old, 155 hectare country estate, in Stellenbosch, prevails one of the region's most distinguished examples of Cape Dutch Architecture, maintaining the elegant atmosphere of a gracious age - The Lanzerac Manor & Winery.
As a member of one of the Gatsby International Hotels, we understand that exclusivity is the key to an unforgettable stay.
For this reason, we limit accommodation at the Lanzerac Manor to 48 spacious rooms, including 5 Junior Suites, the luxurious Royal Pool Suite with it's own private swimming pool and the Presidential Suite. All rooms and suites open out onto private patios overlooking lush vineyards, landscaped gardens and the majestic Helderberg mountains.
The Lanzerac Manor has a history stretching back over three hundred years ago and over thirty of those where spent as a hotel, it can safely be said that Lanzerac has established a reputation as one of the best known and best loved hotels in the country. In fact in 1975 the Lanzorac Manor & Winery appeared in a prestigious Thomas Cook publication as one of the top 300 hotels in the world and "by far the prettiest in South Africa."
But there was a grey time in the history of the Lanzerac - after David Rawdon sold in 1988 the Lanzerac Manor & Winery looked set to join the brassy big-time set with talk of timeshare and multi-million renovations. But, luckily for lovers of the real Lanzerac legend it was not to be. In 1990 Christo Wiese, businessman, wine lover and ex-Matie, saved her in the nick of time "because I wanted a wine farm".
With Steve and Nicky Fitzgerald of Halcyon Hotels, Wiese has invested just enough to restore Lanzerac to the fine, simple style to which she is accustomed.